Requirements for Admission
GRE not required. Please submit the following:
- A completed graduate application at: www.bellarmine.edu/applynow
- A non-refundable application fee of $40 (Bellarmine alumna/e should use code BUALUMFREE).
- Personal Statement and Writing Prompt:
- Personal statement: Please discuss your suitability for graduate study. You may discuss your professional and academic skills, strengths and weaknesses, etc. Your essay may include topics like:
- How your strengths and weaknesses will contribute to your success as a graduate student and professional?
- How do you compensate for your weaknesses?
- What will you contribute to this program?
- How will you ensure that you will complete the program?
- Ultimately, build an argument for your admission.
- Include a 500-750 word essay (references not required) to one of the following writing prompts:
- Explain how the study of intercultural communication enables an individual to navigate a globally diverse workplace and world
- Define how professional and personal communication should be evaluated from both ethical and legal perspectives
- Explain how understanding the creation, dissemination and significance of different forms of media enables an individual to analyze media’s role in culture and society
- Professional/academic writing sample: This could include a term paper, press release, published story (nonfiction),
digital portfolio, grant application, etc.
- Two letters of recommendation (included in packet). Recommendations from persons able to evaluate either
academic or professional potential are the most valuable.
- Current resume
- Final official transcript(s) from each college or university attended should be mailed to the Office of Graduate
Admission and not be marked “Issued to Student.” If any transcript(s) or undergraduate degree(s) is from an
international institution, you must provide an official copy to be evaluated by the Bellarmine International
Programs Office. The Office of Graduate Admission reserves the right to request a certified copy of the original
- All final, official transcripts should be submitted to:
Office of Graduate Admission
2001 Newburg Road
Louisville, KY 40205
For more information, contact the Office of Graduate Admission at 502.272.7200 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Note: It is the student’s responsibility to request all official transcripts and test scores. Official transcripts and test scores are mailed
directly from the institution to Bellarmine University and should not be marked issued to student or addressed to the student.
International Student Requirements
Please complete the items under Procedure for Admission and submit the following:
Language Proficiency. All students are expected to have appropriate English-language proficiency to be admitted to the university. The language proficiency is required to ensure students are adequately prepared and well positioned to succeed.
Financial Affidavit. All applicants must provide credible evidence (e.g. a bank statement, letter on bank stationary attesting to the availability of funds, etc.) of the ability to fund the cost of attending Bellarmine University for one academic year. If funds are provided by another person on behalf of the student, an affidavit must accompany the financial information.
Proof of Passport. Scan of passport ID page must show validity for 6 months post completion of the program.
International students are also encouraged to visit the Bellarmine International Student & Scholar Services website.
On occasion, students who do not meet the standard admission requirements for the program may be admitted on a probationary basis for one semester. Prior to admission, the student meets independently with the Program Director, faculty and/or the Dean to address deficiencies in his/her application. If a student is granted a probationary admit, but does not maintain a 3.0 in the first semester of enrollment, he/she may not continue in the program. The program director will contact the student and faculty mid-fall semester to obtain a progress report.