In 2016, our FNP graduates received a 100% certification first-time pass rate.
As reported by the American Academy of Nurse Practitioners Certification Board (AANPCB)
The Family Nurse Practitioner track prepares professional nurses to provide a wide range of preventive and acute healthcare services to individuals of all ages. NPs take health histories and provide complete physical examinations; diagnose and treat many common acute and chronic problems; interpret laboratory results and X-rays; prescribe and manage medications and other therapies; provide health teaching and supportive counseling with an emphasis on prevention of illness and health maintenance; and refer patients to other health professionals as needed. Students will complete selected clinical practica as part of this curriculum.
We also offer a post-master's FNP option for those with a Master of Science in Nursing in another area. Post-master's applicants should also follow the application procedures below.
Upon successful completion of the FNP track requirements graduates are eligible to apply for certification through the American Nurses Credentialing Center (ANCC) or American Academy of Nurse Practitioners (AANP).
Priority Application Deadline: Priority Application Deadline: February 15. Applications completed after February 15 will be considered on a space available basis. The Family Nurse Practitioner Program begins each fall semester (August).
- Complete the application at www.nursingcas.org. There is a $60 application fee. We do not require a supplemental
application to Bellarmine Unversity.
- To be reviewed in the priority application pool, your completed application and all supporting documents including
official transcripts, electronic references, personal statement, resume and GRE (if required) must be complete
at Nursing CAS by February 15. Applications completed after February 15, 2016 will be considered on a
space available basis.
- It takes Nursing CAS 4-6 weeks to verify your application and submit it to us after you submit it to them.
- We require all FNP track applicants (including Bellarmine University alumni and current undergraduate students)
to apply via Nursing CAS.
- If you are enrolled in the MSN Administration or Education track but decide to pursue admission to the FNP track,
you must complete a change of track application.
- If you are enrolled as a non-degree student but decide to pursue admission to the FNP track, you must apply via
Program Admission Requirements
Admission to the Master’s program requires approval by the
MSN Admission, Progression, and Graduation Committee.
Admission of applicants is based upon the following criteria:
- BSN from a CCNE or ACEN accredited nursing program
- A completed application at www.nursingcas.org. You must submit all
official transcripts directly to Nursing CAS before they will verify your
application and submit it to Bellarmine University. All final, official
transcripts submitted to Nursing CAS are considered official and you do
not need to supply those to Bellarmine University. However, any transcripts
which include “In Progress” coursework or degree requirements
at the time you submit the Nursing CAS application are not considered
official. These final, official transcripts must be submitted directly from
the college or university to Bellarmine University by July 31, 2016.
- Minimum GPA of 3.0 is required
- If any transcript(s) or undergraduate degree(s) is from an international
institution, you must provide an official copy of a third party course by
course credential evaluation to Nursing CAS and Bellarmine University.
The following organizations offer this service and information regarding
processes and fees are available at: www.aacrao.org, www.wes.org, and
www.ece.org. The Office of Graduate Admission reserves the right to
request a certified copy of the original transcript(s).
- Three professional references. Recommendations from friends, other
students, or co-workers are not appropriate. The strongest recommendations
are from Nurse Practitioners, managers, directors, professors
or others in a supervisory capacity. Please use the electronic reference
form at Nursing CAS. You will need to include your recommender’s
email address so that Nursing CAS can provide the recommender the
- Goal statement: The goal statement is your opportunity to tell us (as
specifically as you can at this time) about your career plans after you
finish your master’s degree. Your goal statement should also include
your understanding of the role of the nurse practitioner in the primary
care of persons, families, and communities, and how you envision your
career in this role (including where you would like to work). This statement
provides us with a sample of your writing ability and helps faculty
determine your fit with Bellarmine’s offered program.
- Resume describing relevant work, professional, and volunteer experiences
- Active, unrestricted license to practice nursing in Kentucky and/or
compact states. We will verify your license via the Kentucky Board of
- An interview with graduate faculty members. Please note: Because
enrollment is limited in the FNP track, meeting the minimum requirements
may not assure admission to that track.
In addition to meeting the requirements for
admission, please submit the following:
Language Proficiency. Language proficiency is required to ensure that students within the department of nursing are able to communicate with a diverse population. The department of nursing accepts one of the following as evidence of required language proficiency:
- TOEFL-iBT (internet-based test) and receive a total score of 83 or higher AND a score of 26 or higher on the speaking test OR
- IELTS (International English Language Testing System) and receive a total band score of 7 or higher AND a speaking band score of 8 or higher OR
- Language training at an approved center. Bellarmine University recognized the following standards and centers: English Language Services level 112 (http://www.els.edu/en); Interlink Level 5 (http://interlink.edu/); Intensive Language Program at Indiana University Level 6 (http://iep.indiana.edu/); and other centers may be approved at the discretion of the Admission, Progression and Graduation committee of the Department of Nursing.
International students who are exempt from language proficiency requirements are the following:
- Students who are citizens of or have completed a degree from a TOEFL exempt country.
- Students who have a secondary or high school diploma earned in TOEFL exempt countries.
- International students who have completed at least one year of full time university study or its equivalent (i.e., a minimum of 24 earned credit hours or its equivalent and earned a 2.0 GPA) in a TOEFL exempt country.
Only official score reports will be accepted.
Financial Affidavit. All applicants must provide
credible evidence (e.g. a bank statement, letter
on bank stationary attesting to the availability of
funds, etc.) of the ability to fund the cost of attending
Bellarmine University for one academic
year. If funds are provided by another person on
behalf of the student, an affidavit must accompany
the financial information.
Proof of Passport. Scan of passport ID page must
show validity for 6 months post completion of the