So you're ready to take the plunge
into graduate school, and you know you need to register for the GRE and
get ready to take it, but how? For information about the GRE, free GRE prep software, and samples of test questions, go to www.ets.org/gre.
GRE Prep Session
The ARC offers a free GRE prep course for current students and selected prospective graduate students. The full course meets
eight consecutive weeks and covers a different topic each week, but
participants are not required to attend all eight meetings. ARC tutors
or ARC staff lead each session.
The first half of the course (weeks 1-4) covers GRE logistics and one different topic each week for the verbal and writing portions. The second half (weeks 5-8) covers one topic each week for the quantitative (math) portions.
- August 28: What is the GRE? & Mini-Lesson on “Sentence Equivalence” Questions
- September 4: You Fill-In the Blank(s): “Text Completion” Questions
- September 11: Did You Get the Gist?: “Reading Comprehension” Questions
- September 18: The Write Way?: The Essay Sections
- September 25: Properties of Numbers (fractions, percents, proportions)
- October 2: Algebra (solving equations, systems of equations, charts)
- October 9: Geometry
- October 16: Statistics & General Strategies for quantitative questions
For each date, the course meets 11 a.m.- noon and 4:30-5:30 p.m. covering the same topic. Space is limited.
If you encounter problems or have questions, email Cassie Book at firstname.lastname@example.org with GRE in the subject line.
Graduate School Application Essays
writing graduate school application essays and personal statements, it
is always important to seek out advice. Although there are many
resources you can use to get feedback (friends, family, co-workers,
advisors, and peers), visiting the Writing Center is an important way to get the perspective of an experienced writer.
GMAT, LSAT, MCAT
the ARC does not offer prep sessions for these tests, but has
study materials available for use in the library. Stop by the ARC (Library B-level) to