So you're ready to take the plunge
into graduate school, and you know you need to register for the GRE and
get ready to take it, but how? For information about the GRE, free GRE prep software, and samples of test questions, go to www.ets.org/gre.
GRE Prep Sessions
The ARC offers a free GRE prep course for current students and selected prospective graduate students. The full course meets
eight consecutive weeks and covers a different topic each week, but
participants are not required to attend all eight meetings. ARC tutors
or ARC staff lead each session.
The first half of the course covers GRE logistics and one different topic each week for the verbal & writing portions:
- January 9: What is the GRE? & Mini-Lesson on Approaching “Sentence Equivalence” Questions
- January 16: You Fill-In the Blank(s): Approaching “Text Completion” Questions
- January 23: Did You Get the Gist?: Approaching “Reading Comprehension” Questions
- January 30: The Write Way?: Approaching the Writing Sections
The second half of the course covers one topic each week for the quantitative (math) portions:
- February 6: Properties of Numbers (fractions, percents, proportions)
- February 13: Algebra (solving equations, systems of equations, charts)
- February 20: Geometry
- February 27: Statistics & General Strategies for quantitative questions
For each date, the course meets 11 a.m.- noon and 5:30-6:30 p.m. covering the same topic.
Space is limited. To request your space, go here.
If you encounter any problems or have any questions, email Cassie Book at firstname.lastname@example.org with GRE in the subject line.
Graduate School Application Essays
writing graduate school application essays and personal statements, it
is always important to seek out advice. Although there are many
resources you can use to get feedback (friends, family, co-workers,
advisors, and peers), visiting the Writing Center is an important way to get the perspective of an experienced writer.
2011 GRE Update
August of 2011, there were massive changes to the GRE. If you are unfamiliar with
the new GRE, you should review the changes and new test-prep materials
before scheduling a test.
GMAT, LSAT, MCAT
the ARC does not offer group prep sessions for these tests, but has
study materials available for use in the library. Walk in the ARC (Library B-level) to