ARC Peer Tutoring
The ARC offers FREE peer tutoring to all Bellarmine students in many 100- and 200-level courses! Tutoring takes the form of large group weekly sessions or test review sessions, or individual or small group sessions. Our tutoring services are meant to not just to further students' knowledge in a particular class, but to help students develop the learning skills they need to be successful at Bellarmine. You can view the tutor schedule here.
What do tutors do?
Our tutors are Bellarmine upperclassmen who are trained to lead group or individual tutoring sessions and who excelled in the courses for which they are tutoring. They assist students in improving their study skills, test taking skills, and critical thinking skills. Our goal is to help students become better students in all of their classes, not just the ones for which we offer tutoring!
Who participates in tutoring?
Anyone! Peer tutoring goes beyond helping students with their questions or concerns about course content and it is for anyone
enrolled in a 100- or 200-level course. You do not have to be
struggling to benefit from tutoring. Tutors can help you prepare and
feel more comfortable about a class. Just contact us!
Expectations for Tutoring Sessions
- Please come prepared with questions and class materials: notes, textbooks, and any other supplementary materials.
- Your tutor may ask a few introductory questions to determine what your goals are for the session or the course.
- Your tutor will ask you questions in order to understand where you are in the class, what material you’ve already mastered, and what you need help with more specifically.
- Your tutors will be open, friendly, empathetic, and knowledgeable in their subject area.
- Your tutors will offer support, feedback, clarity, advice, and tips learned from previous experiences.
- Your tutor, leader, or consultant will close the session by planning the next one and/or advising you about how to move forward independently until your next meeting.
The Role of ARC Tutors
- Your tutors will do their best to offer help that benefits you both in the short-term, for your immediate needs, and in the long-term, for improving your overall skills.
- Your tutors will use your needs, effort, and investment to guide the session.
- Your tutors will address your questions regarding the course material, the organization of the course, and work with you to figure out how you can study most effectively.
- Your tutor will provide you with strategies regarding studying, note-taking, time management, and test-taking that you can apply on your own time to improve your learning.
What You SHOULD NOT Expect from ARC Tutors
- Tutors will reteach the material, rewrite your paper, or tell you exactly what’s going to be on the test.
- Tutors will help you complete graded homework assignments or do work for you.
- The material will be re-taught in the same depth and style as it would be by your professor.
- That ARC tutors are available 24/7. The tutors want to help you, but they have classes to attend too. Budget your time, and make an appointment as soon as you can if you are concerned for your success in a subject area. Be prompt and have your materials ready.
- That you can drop off papers or homework to be corrected or edited.
- Judgment, criticism, or a dead end; we’ll always do our best to help you get your needs met.