Senate Bill 1 - Unbridled Learning
Senate Bill 1 (2009) - Unbridled Learning
Senate Bill 1 - On March 26, 2009, Governor Steve Beshear signed Senate Bill 1 (2009) into law. This significant piece of legislation led to the implementation of several education initiatives impacting college readiness and degree completion in Kentucky. SB1 calls for more rigorous learning standards to ensure more Kentuckians graduate from high school ready for college or career, and for collaboration among postsecondary institutions to accomplish this goal.
The Council on Postsecondary Education (CPE) in collaboration with the Education Professional Standards Board (EPSB), and the Kentucky Department of Education (KDE) have developed online modules for an introductory understanding of SB1/Unbridled Learning. The state of Kentucky requires that all faculty members and university supervisors assigned to the education unit complete Senate Bill 1 module training. This includes all full-time faculty, adjunct faculty, and supervisors in the Annsley Frazier Thornton School of Education.
Every university in Kentucky must be 100% compliant with this mandate.
You will complete these modules online. When you click on the link below you will go to a website and press the “Register for Modules” button. Select all five module boxes and then click “Add selected to the registration list.” Then you should see that the courses have been placed on the list for registration so then click “Begin Registration.” On the next page, then click “Proceed to registration process.” If you are not currently a Kentucky Virtual Campus user, then you will need to create a new user profile. Once signed in, complete the 5 modules and you must print off the certificate for each module.
After each module is a quiz-please take the quiz and print out the results for our records. We can not consider you as having completed the training without a certificate printout from each of the 5 modules.
Here is the link: http://www.kycorestandards.org/
You should be able to view each module in a brief manner.
Please send all 5 of your certificates through campus mail or regular mail to Alecea Hawkins in ALLN 325.
Some School of Education faculty members, Dr. Sarah Bush, Dr. Theresa Magpuri-Lavell and Dr. Dorothy Willis have completed extensive Senate Bill trainings held either at the University of Louisville or in other venues.
- Jan. 15, 2011: Deconstructing Standards in the Common Core (University of Louisville, LWP)
- Aug. 3, 2011: New Common Core Literacy Standards in Content Areas : Science and Social Studies Standards (University of Louisville, LWP)
- Sept. 10, 2011: Common Core Standards, ELL and Content Literacy (Eastern Kentucky University, KWP)
- Sept. 17, 2011: Impact of Common Core Standards (University of Louisville, LWP)
- Sept. 20, 2011: Gates Foundation Meeting for Module Construction in Common Core (University of Louisville)
- Sept. 23, 2011: Teacher Education and the Kentucky Core Academic Standards (Kentucky Association of Teacher Educators, Georgetown, KY)