What is Exercise Science?
Exercise Science, also known as "Kinesiology," is the scientific study of how the body responds and adapts to physical activity. Through Exercise Science, we learn how to improve athletic performance, maintain health and wellness, and prevent and treat chronic disease. Primary sub-disciplines within this field include:
- Athletic Training
- Exercise Physiology
- Exercise and Sport Nutrition
- Exercise and Sport Psychology
- Motor Behavior
- Physical Education and Sport Pedagogy
For more information about Exercise Science, including major areas of study, visit the National Academy of Kinesiology.
Potential Career Opportunities
The career opportunities associated with an Exercise Science degree are numerous and varied. Generally speaking, however, most careers fall under one of the following broad categories:
- Coaching and Fitness Leadership
- Health Promotion and Policy
- Sports Management and Administration
- Sports Medicine and Rehabilitation
- Teaching and Research
For an extensive list of Exercise Science-related careers and associated resources, please visit the American Kinesiology Association.