Making Your Mark IDC 200
Electronic Reference Resources
A variety of encyclopedias and other sources that will provide you with background information and serve as a good foundation for further research.
- American Decades Primary Sources (Thomson Gale) - Provides full or excerpted primary sources in 160-170 entries from each period representing a diversity of views that provide insight into the seminal issues, themes, movements, and events from the decade. It is available through the Gale Virtual Reference Library.
- CQ Researcher Online (Congressional Quarterly, 1991 - present) - CQ Researcher contains reports on health, social trends, criminal justice, international affairs, education, the environment, technology, and the economy.
- Congressional Digest and Supreme Court Debates - Provides research and balanced presentation of important debates before Congress, the Supreme Court, and international bodies help you understand the issues and form your own opinions.
- Dictionary of American History (Thomson Gale) - Provides a general reference on a wide range of topics in American history, from the well studied and familiar to the obscure. It is available through the Gale Virtual Reference Library.
- Encyclopedia Americana (Grolier) - Encyclopedia Americana is the online version of the print Encyclopedia Americana.
- Encyclopaedia Britannica (Encyclopaedia Britannica) - Encyclopaedia Britannica Online Academic Edition includes articles from the Encyclopaedia Britannica and more.
- Facts on File Issues & Controversies (1995 - present) - Facts on File Issues & Controversies is a source of information on many of the most prominent and hotly debated issues of the day, discussing both sides of an issue.
- Salem History (Salem Press) - Salem History Provides access to several sets of reference resources. Milestone Documents - A new, primary source series and The Decades - Salem's critically acclaimed American history series.
Print Reference Books – American History
The titles below are in the Reference section of the library. You may photocopy chapters and entries using your Bellarmine ID.
- Chronicle of American History – Ref. 973 C5571 1997.
- Dictionary of American History – Ref. 973.03 D554.
- Encyclopedia of African American History – Ref. 973.0496 E56.
- Encyclopedia of American Political History – Ref. 973.03 E562. Encyclopedia of American Social History - Ref. 301.0973 E56 1993.
- Encyclopedia of American Social Movements - Ref. 303.484 E56.
- Encyclopedia of the United States in the Nineteenth Century – Ref. 973.5 E56.
- Encyclopedia of the United States in the Twentieth Century – Ref. 973.03 E56 1996.
- Events that Changed American History – Ref. 973 E93.
- Macmillan Compendium: African American History - Ref. 301.451 E56a
- Macmillan Compendium: American History – Ref. 973.03 D5541.
- Milestone Documents in African American History - Ref. 305.896 M643.
- Milestone Documents in American History – Ref. 973 M643.
- Our American Century - Ref. 973.9 O93.
- Our Nation’s Archive – Ref. 973 O93.
Print Book Databases
- LyonsCat (Library Online Catalog) - WorldCat is the online OCLC catalog of books, web resources, and other material. It allows you to search the holdings of other local libraries and well as libraries in other cities and states. Search the Bellarmine Library collection for books, DVDs and other materials held in the library's physical collection.
- WorldCat (FirstSearch) - WorldCat is the online OCLC catalog of books, web resources, and other material. It allows you to search the holdings of other local libraries and well as libraries in other cities and states. As a Bellarmine student, you may visit other local libraries to check out materials or order books through interlibrary loan.
Electronic Book Databases
- Ebooks from Ebscohost - A collection of ebooks. Read, download and print the full-text of a wide range of books. May also be downloaded to iPhone and iPad.
- Ebrary - A database of over 34,000 electronic books from scholarly publishers. Print chapters or download to iPhone or iPad.
- Google Books - Search thousands of books in the Google database. Viewing is limited on most titles but many give extensive previews. Books published prior to 1923 are free to read and download.
- American Heritage
Focuses on American history, presenting essays on topics relating to events in US history.
- American History
Feature articles and special issues presenting the best available historic and contemporary illustrations and authoritative narratives on all aspects of American history.
- Journal of American History
The Journal of American History remains the leading scholarly publication and journal of record in the field of American history and is well known as the major resource for the study, investigation, and teaching of our country's heritage.
- Magazine of History
Since 1985, each issue of the OAH Magazine of History focuses on a theme or topic of recent scholarship in American history, and provides readers with informative articles, lesson plans, and current historiography. Also part of each quarterly issue is a column entitled, "America on the World Stage," a collaboration between The College Board and the OAH, which seeks to place events in U.S. history into a global perspective.
- Academic Search Premier - This multi-disciplinary database provides full text for more than 4,600 journals, including full text for nearly 3,900 peer-reviewed titles. PDF backfiles to 1975 or further are available for well over one hundred journals, and searchable cited references are provided for more than 1,000 titles.
- JSTOR - JSTOR offers high-quality, interdisciplinary content to support scholarship and teaching. It includes over one thousand leading academic journals across the humanities, social sciences, and sciences, as well as select monographs and other materials valuable for academic work.
- LexisNexis Academic - LexisNexis® Academic NEWS supplies a wide variety of authoritative sources, including Full text of more than 2,500 newspapers from the U.S. and around the world, many same day of publication
- Project Muse - MUSE is the trusted source of complete, full-text versions of scholarly journals from many of the world's leading university presses and scholarly societies, with over 120 publishers currently participating. UPCC Book Collections on Project MUSE, launched in January 2012, offer top quality book-length scholarship, fully integrated with MUSE's scholarly journal content.
- ProQuest Research Library - ProQuest Research Library™ provides one-stop access to a wide range of popular academic subjects. The database includes more than 5,000 titles - over 3,500 in full text - from 1971 forward. It features a highly-respected, diversified mix of scholarly journals, trade publications, magazines, and newspapers. This combination of general reference volume and scope makes it one of the broadest, most inclusive general reference databases ProQuest has to offer.
- U. S. History (from ushistory.org) - An overview of American history from the Pre-Columbian era to the present
- Digital History - This Web site was designed and developed to support the teaching of American History in K-12 schools and colleges and is supported by the Department of History and the College of Education at the University of Houston.