File Requirements for Electronic Theses and Dissertations
A thesis or dissertation is an important work of scholarship which the University believes should be distributed and preserved as part of our educational mission. The University requires that all theses and dissertations be deposited and made available through the University’s ETD archive. The final post-defense version approved by your committee must be deposited. The library will review your document for the file requirements below; it does not proofread, verify style guide usage or review the document for professional level standards. This is your responsibility as the author of the thesis/dissertation. Students must allow at least four weeks for review of their submission. Students must plan accordingly in order to meet graduation deadlines.
The library will provide open access to deposited graduate projects through Bellarmine’s ETD archive. Works will be made available on the Internet and indexing in search engines will be facilitated. This process facilitates the dissemination of the work to the wider academic and other interested communities. Students must submit the ETD submission form to confirm access to the work.
The following requirements must be met for a submitted ETD to be accepted:
- No security restrictions, such as a password, copy/paste or printing, can be incorporated into the file. This facilitates indexing and migration.
- File names should only use English letters, Arabic numbers and underscore lines.
- There should be no spaces in the file names; this ensures that hyperlinks will work.
- All fonts used in the document must be embedded.
- Post Script Type 1 fonts required
- The following parts of the work should be bookmarked: Title Page; Abstract; Table of Contents (TOC); Tables; Figures; Each Chapter; Appendix; Bibliography. Additional subsections may also be bookmarked.
- Bookmarking improves the navigation of the work, allowing readers to jump between sections by clicking on the bookmark links.
- Do not embed media files in the PDF file. (Requirement)
- Using recommended formats will facilitate their migration for archival purposes.
- The following file formats should be used:
- TIFF (.tif) Recommended
- JPEG (.jpg)
- GIF (.gif)
- MPEG (.mpg) Recommended
- MOV (.mov)
- AVI (.avi)
- AIF (.aif)
- WAV (.wav)
- MIDI (.midi)
- SND (.snd)