2010 Humana Writing Contest Winners
The Institute for Media, Culture and Ethics and the Humana Foundation sponsored the second writing contest for undergraduate women at Bellarmine.
The topic was: "How Women Are Portrayed in the Media."
Five women were selected to travel to New York on October 19 to be part of the International Women’s Media Foundation Courage Awards.
- Amanda Gray, a senior psychology major from Batavia, Illinois
- Ali Greenwell, a junior communication major from Louisville, Kentucky
- Melinda Kelly, a junior finance major from Louisville, Kentucky
- Victoria Reibel, a sophomore communication major from Simpsonville, Kentucky
- Paige Wills, a junior communication major from New Albany, Indiana
The five winners were escorted to New York on the Humana jet with Ed Manassah, executive director of the School of Communication and the Institute for Media, Culture and Ethics; Dr. Lara Needham, associate director and chair of undergraduate studies for the school; Mike McCallister, Chairman of the Humana Inc. and Virginia Judd, executive director of the Humana Foundation.
The students participated in a private reception and luncheon at the Waldorf Astoria and met with many celebrated journalist, including four incredible women who were named Courage winners.
The students then toured the NBC and the Jimmy Fallon Show studios.