How many students apply to the program and what are their qualifications?
There are between 800-900 applicants each year, with an average 3.5 cumulative GPA and prerequisite GPA.
How many students do you admit?
We admit 72 students. Qualified Bellarmine undergraduate students receive priority admission to the program.
What are the admission requirements?
Transfer applicants to the professional program must hold a baccalaureate degree and have completed all program prerequisite courses. Admission to the program is selective and highly competitive. Students attending Bellarmine as undergraduates receive preferential consideration for admission to the Doctor of Physical Therapy Program.
Qualified applicants to the program must have:
- a minimum prerequisite point average of 3.00/4.00
- a minimum overall (cumulative) undergraduate grade point average of 2.75/4.00
- completed seven of the ten prerequisite courses prior to January 1 of the admission year
- completed all program prerequisites prior to entering the professional curriculum
- a grade of “C” or better in all prerequisites courses
- taken the Graduate Record Examination (GRE) in the past 5 years and had their official scores submitted to Bellarmine University (School Code 1056)
- 25 clock hours of documented work or volunteer experience in a physical therapy setting
- the physical ability to perform tasks required of a physical therapist
What is the application deadline?
The priority application deadline is October 2 of the year prior to your intended start. The final application deadline is December 1. All applications submitted by October 2 are reviewed before applications submitted by December 1. It is in your best interest as an applicant to apply prior to October 2. Visit www.ptcas.org to apply.
What are the prerequisite courses?
The prerequisite courses for the program (Bellarmine course equivalencies in parentheses) are:
- 2 semesters of anatomy and physiology with lab (BIOL 108 & 109; two semesters of 300+ level biology courses can substitute for this prerequisite)
- 1 semester of general biology with lab (BIOL 130)
- 1 semester of advanced physiology such as vertebrate physiology, mammalian physiology, exercise physiology or pathophysiology (BIOL 300 or BIOL 314 or EXSC 240)
- 2 semesters of college chemistry with lab (CHEM 103 & 104)
- 2 semesters of college physics with lab (PHYS 201 & 202 or PHYS 205 & 206)
- 1 semester of psychology (PSYC 103 or 104)
- 1 semester of statistics (MATH 205)
I took some of these courses a long time ago. Is there an age limit on coursework?
There is not an age limit on coursework, however you may want to repeat a course to improve a grade or to refresh your skills.
I need to take some of the prerequisite courses. How do I know what courses to take?
Jordan Wiehebrink, Senior Admissions Counselor, can help you with academic advising. You may make an appointment with her to review your transcripts or you may email, fax or mail your transcripts to her for an evaluation. For additional information, contact Jordan at 502.272.8245, 800.274.4723 x 8364 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Is the GRE required?
Yes. Applicants to the physical therapy program must provide GRE scores from the last 5 years to PTCAS.
How many volunteer hours are required?
25 clock hours of physical therapy volunteer experience are required.
How do I document my volunteer hours?
Observation hours will be submitted and verified via www.ptcas.org.
Are letters of recommendation required?
Letters of recommendation are not required.
Is it part time or full time?
This is a full time day program.
When does it start?
Coursework begins in May, usually the Tuesday after Memorial Day.
I’ve been out of college for a while…will I be the oldest student?
The DPT program is quite diverse! Students in this program range from 20 - 50 years old. Some students are right out of college while some are married with children.
How much does it cost?
Because tuition changes yearly, please consult Senior Admission Counselor, Jordan Rose Wiehebrink for current tuition cost at email@example.com.