- Move to the designated Tornado Safe Area, which is located on the bottom floor of your building.
- Stay away from windows.
- Stay near the inside wall.
- Move to a lower inner stairwell.
- Sit on the floor.
- Cover your head.
- Do not use telephones.
If a tremor strikes when you are inside:
- Stay inside. Watch out for falling debris. Stay away from windows and mirrors.
- Either crawl under a table or desk, sit or stand against an inside wall away from windows, or stand inside a strong doorway.
After the tremor is over:
- Check for injured people. Do not move seriously injured people, unless they are in immediate danger.
- If you think the building has been damaged, evacuate. After-shocks can level severely damaged buildings.
- Do not use the telephone except to report emergencies.
- Do not use plumbing or anything electrical (including elevators) until after the utility and electrical lines have been checked.
- Open doors carefully, watching for objects that may fall.
- Do not use matches or lighters. Watch out for fires that may have started.
- Be prepared for additional aftershocks.
If you smell something burning:
- Call 911 and the Department of Public Safety at 272-7777 immediately.
- Activate the building fire alarm system.
- Security will send an officer to investigate.
- If you see smoke or fire, apply the RACE concept:
- R – Rescue those in immediate danger.
- A – Alarm-activate the fire pull station, then call 272-7777 and give exact location of fire (room number and building), your name and type of fire. LET THE OPERATOR HANG UP FIRST.
- C – Contain the fire by closing all doors and windows.
- E – Evacuate the building.
- If time allows, close all doors behind as you leave.
- Do not use elevators. Do not run.
- Follow the evacuation routes and plans outlined in the unit-specific fire plan.
If you discover a bomb or suspicious package:
- Call 911 and give a detailed report about the suspicious package and location. You may be asked to assist in a search because you are familiar with the area
- Dial 272-7777 and provide the same information.
- If so directed, evacuate your area.
If you are in a classroom and hear shooting nearby:
- Keep everyone inside.
- Lock the doors.
- Close the blinds.
- Get everyone on the floor, possibly against the wall out of the line of fire and away from the windows.
- Call 911, and then call the Department of Public Safety at 272-7777.
- If suspects are in your room with a gun:
- Don't challenge them.
- Don't threaten them.
- Do what they say.
- Try to keep things calm.
If an individual has an exposure to body fluid, either through skin, or eyes, mouth and nose:
- Flush eyes with lots of water.
- If an body part exposed is not the eyes, wash the exposed body surface with lots of soap and water.
- Remove soiled clothing, wash skin, and change to clean clothing.
- Call the Department of Public Safety at 272-7777.
- Report as soon as possible to the closest emergency department.