Community Engagement at BU
We believe in the value of community and the potential for positive impact. Bellarmine offers multiple ways students to explore and practice active citizenship in our local community and beyond. This is enmeshed within the mission of the University and therefore is a tenant of the BU experience.
- Domestic Alternative Spring Break experiences in a variety of communities including New Orleans, Charleston, West Virginia, and Alabama to name a few
- Knights in Action: Day of Service for all first year students during orientation
- Impact Grants: Students who are working collaboratively with a community organization can apply to receive funding for special projects or initiatives
- RSO Service: Each Registered Student Organization will complete volunteer hours with a local community organization each semester
- Bellarmine Volunteer Days: Two Saturdays each month, students can sign up to join a community project or volunteer at an organization with their peers
- Compassion to Action - Residence Halls are partnered with a community organization to support the needs of that organization throughout the year through volunteer days, drives, and advocacy
- Annual Non-profit and Volunteer Fair: Hosted on the Quad each Fall, students have the opportunity to meet local organizations, learn about the work that they do in the community, and sign up to volunteer or intern for a semester or year long commitment
Service Oriented Registered Student Organizations
There are several RSO's that dedicate their time supporting local community organizations and efforts to positive impact the lives of community members in Louisville.
- Food Recovery Network: This group of students collects food from campus dining services 4 nights a week and distributes the food to local feeding programs
- Technology Recovery: This small but mighty group refurbishes computer equipment that is no longer used at the university and distributes the equipment to local non-profits in need
- Alpha Phi Omega: This is a service fraternity open to all students that dedicates their time individually and as a group volunteering with local organizations
- BU Dance Marathon: This group organizes one of the campus's largest fundraising efforts on campus in support of efforts at Norton Children's Hospital