Credential Files for Teachers
Please read carefully the following information. It is provided so you may better utilize the services provided to education students and graduates by Career Development.
It is vital for all students completing a certification program in the School of Education to establish credentials in a placement file, whether you plan to teach immediately or in the future, as most school systems require them.
Process for Establishing and Maintining Your File
- You must submit your resume first to establish a credential file.
- Teacher candidates need at least six recommendations: one from each supervising teacher (many students have two supervising teachers) and one from each college supervisor and other educators and employers. Recommendations that are received prior to submission of the resume will be placed in a "hold" file.
- Each Recommendation Form includes a section that allows you to decide whether the recommender's written evaluation and comments will be considered confidential or non-confidential. Indicate your preference on the form before giving it to the recommender so that he/she knows whether or not you will have access to his/her candid evaluation and comments. Forms that are not checked and signed by the candidate will not be accepted. Recommenders must return forms marked "Confidential" directly to Career Development.
- Please print, complete and return your Authorization to Release Records to Career Development. This permits us to forward all documents currently in your credential file to the persons and/or organizations you request.
- Upon your request, the Registrar's Office will send a "student copy" of your transcript to Career Development for inclusion in your credential file. An "official" copy is not required.
- Credential files having no additions or revisions for three to five years become outdated and of limited value. After a credential file is inactive for five years, it will be destroyed. Files can be reestablished at a later date.
- Should you earn a higher degree from a different institution, your Bellarmine University credential file should be deleted. You will need to establish a new credential file at the institution awarding your master's, specialist or doctoral degree. If required, copies of part or all of your Bellarmine credential file can be forwarded to another institution.
- Career Development has a binder with the addresses of all the Boards of Education in Kentucky. Teaching positions listed at Bellarmine will be accessible on the CollegeCentral website. You may search for these opportunities by major, job target (industry), title, employer, location and more.
- Information about your employment status should be sent to Career Development. When you accept, transfer or leave employment or change your contact information, please notify us as soon as possible.