International Student Services and General Immigration Information

Is there more than one type of international student at Bellarmine?  

Yes. There are three different types of international students at Bellarmine.

  • Degree-seeking – are students who want to earn either an undergraduate or graduate degree in an approved field of study from Bellarmine University. Degree-seeking international students enter the U.S on an F-1 Student Visa.
  • Bilateral exchange- these students come to Bellarmine from institutions in other countries which have negotiated exchange agreements directly with Bellarmine. Bilateral exchange students can choose to stay at Bellarmine for one semester or a full year but their degree will be awarded from their home institution. Bilateral exchange students enter the U.S. on an J-1 Student Visa. This application process is initiated through the home institution. All materials should be submitted directly to the home institution.
  • International Student Exchange Program (ISEP) – ISEP is a network of 275 colleges and universities in 39 countries cooperating to provide affordable access to international education for a diverse student population. ISEP is a non-profit organization administered by a central office in Washington, D.C.  ISEP exchanges are open to students at member institutions; each outbound participant pays the cost of an academic term (tuition, room and board) at home while, for every student sent abroad, the institution receives one in return. ISEP facilities exchange between U.S. and international members as well as exchanges among international institutions. ISEP students enter the U.S. on a J-1 student visa. ISEP students complete the application process through their HOME institution. Learn more here.

What do I need to do to enroll at Bellarmine University?

The enrollment process differs for each type of international student. For more information visit the International Admissions website.

As a student at Bellarmine University, am I allowed to work while enrolled?

Yes. All three types of international students can work on campus part-time (A maximum of 15 hours per week is allowed at BU) while school is in session and full-time (40 hours per week) during vacation periods. All students who plan to work in any capacity in the U.S. must  first obtain a Social Security card. Additional information is available here. Off-campus employment is available only to degree-seeking international students who have been enrolled in F-1 status for a full academic year and are in good academic standing. This type of off-campus employment is called practical training.

As an international student am I responsible for filing U.S. income taxes?

Yes. All international students, regardless of whether or not they earned income while in the U.S., must complete and file U.S. and Kentucky income tax forms. Each spring semester a workshop will be conducted with information on how to complete the tax preparation and filing process. Additional information is available here.

What steps will I need to take in order to travel outside of the U.S. on vacation or to visit home on semester breaks?

If you plan to travel outside of the U.S. during your stay at Bellarmine, (degree-seeking and bilateral students). You must first:

  • Schedule an appointment with the Primary Designated School Official or Designated School Official if your I-20/DS-2019 has not been signed within a year of the date you plan on returning to the U.S.  Students on CPT or OPT must have their I-20/DS-2019 signed within the previous 6 months.
  • Be sure you have a valid passport, valid visa stamp, recently signed I-20/DS-2019, I-94, and copy of your most recent transcript. In some cases, it is advisable to prepare proof that you have the financial resources to cover your trip’s expenses and return to the U.S.
  • If you are traveling somewhere other than your home country you may need a visitor’s visa. Consult with the PDSO or DSO at least 2 months prior to your travels outside of the U.S. to a country that is not your home country.

Additional FAQs

Designated School Official (PDSO) 

Dr. Hannah Clayborne
Assistant Vice-President for Student Affairs and Multicultural Affairs
225 D Horrigan Hall

ISEP Students

Contact Ms. Eric Ward or Ms. Sara Reyna Byler, International Programs Office, 149 Miles Hall Suite or call 502.272.8479.