Transfer Student FAQ

How do I apply for transfer admission?

You can apply for transfer admission by filling out the online transfer application.

When should I apply for transfer admission?

We do not have application deadlines for transfer students, but do have rolling admission for fall, spring and summer. Be sure to give yourself plenty of time to submit your application and credentials before the start of the semester. The sooner you apply for admission the easier the transfer process will be. We suggest applying for admission and submitting all required credentials at least three months in advance.

What is considered an “official” transcript?

An “official transcript” is one that is mailed directly from your previous institution to Bellarmine’s Office of Admission. It should not be mailed to the student or hand delivered by the student or marked “Issued to Student.”

Do I have to submit an official transcript from every college or university I have attended?

Yes, even if you enrolled but withdrew or only received credit for one class, you have to request official transcripts to be mailed to Bellarmine from every college or university attended.

Do I need to submit official high school transcripts or GED scores as a transfer student?

If you have earned fewer than 60 transferable credit hours you will need to submit an official high school transcript or GED scores.

Do I need to submit official ACT/SAT scores as a transfer student?

If you have earned fewer than 24 transferable credit hours and graduated from high school less than five years ago you will need to submit official test scores.

Do I need to submit an essay?

You will need to submit an essay if you have earned fewer than 24 college credit hours or are an international student. Your essay should be 200 words minimum and typed. It should address your educational and/or professional goals.

What is the tuition at Bellarmine University?

Tuition, fees, room and board for the current school year can be found online here

Are transfer students required to pay a deposit or matriculation fee?

No, transfer students are not required to pay the matriculation fee. It is only required of freshmen who have recently graduated from high school or transfer students who wish to attend Orientation.

What scholarships are available to transfer students?

Transfer students who are full-time at Bellarmine are eligible for transfer grants. The amount of the transfer grant is based on your transfer GPA, which includes only the courses that are transferable to Bellarmine. For the 2019-2020 school year the transfer grant ranges from $20,700-$26,000 per year. Member of Phi Theta Kappa can apply for our Phi Theta Kappa scholarship. If awarded, the PTK scholarship for the 2019-2020 school year is $27,000.  

How do I apply for transfer grants?

Transfer grants are awarded automatically once you have been admitted fully to Bellarmine and your transfer credit evaluation is complete.

How do I apply for the Phi Theta Kappa scholarship?

To apply, please contact Brooke Burnette at or (502) 272-8209. Only four PTK scholarships are awarded annually. 

How do I apply for federal financial aid?

You will need to apply for federal/state financial aid by filling out the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) online at Bellarmine’s school code is 001954.

What classes will transfer to Bellarmine?

An official transfer credit evaluation (TCE) will be completed by the Registrar’s Office once we have received your official transcripts and you have been admitted to Bellarmine. We will only accept college credits from schools that are regionally accredited.

Does my GPA from my previous college transfer to Bellarmine?

No, your transfer GPA does not calculate into your Bellarmine GPA. The only time your transfer GPA will be calculated with your Bellarmine GPA is if you are applying for a specific program, such as nursing, or you are eligible for graduation honors.

When do I register for my first semester of classes at Bellarmine?

Once you have been admitted to Bellarmine, you will receive an acceptance letter in the mail. The letter will include your advisor’s contact information. Please contact them to schedule an advising and registration appointment.

What majors does Bellarmine offer?

We offer more than 60 majors in the arts and sciences, business, education, nursing and health sciences, communication and environmental studies.

As a transfer student, am I required to attend Knight U or Orientation?

No, you are not required to attend Knight U or Orientation. These events are specifically for first-time freshmen.

How do I apply for on-campus housing?

You will need to submit your housing application online along with a $200 deposit.

How do I arrange a campus visit?

You can schedule an appointment to meet with an admission counselor and/or take a tour of campus just about any weekday. You may schedule your visit by registering online. If you have questions about scheduling your visit, please contact our Campus Visit Coordinator, Michelle Johnson, at 502.272.8123 or