Frequently Asked Questions

How do I get started?

You will need your Certificate of Eligibility (COE), which you apply for through the Department of Veteran Affairs website.

The Eligibility Certificate indicates the number of months and days of benefits remaining. It will also indicate whether you are eligible for Yellow Ribbon Benefits. Once you have enrolled, simply bring this form and a copy of your courses for the semester to Bellarmine Military and Veterans Services in Library, Room BL 209. This is all we need to file with the VA and get you rolling.

Also, you should contact Bellarmine Military and Veterans Service to introduce yourself and let us know you have applied or will soon apply for your VA benefits. You can contact us at 502.272.7027 or visit us in Library, Room BL 209.

What kind of benefit am I eligible for?

The answer to this question will be contained on the Certificate of Eligibility issued by the VA. The actual amount varies dependent upon the benefit category. For a list of the different benefits, click here.

How much do my VA benefits pay?

Each of the education programs offered by the VA vary. For the most up-to-date information on the benefits and amounts, visit here.

Can I receive financial aid if I am getting VA benefits?

Yes. After you have applied and been accepted at Bellarmine, you can schedule an appointment with the Financial Aid Office to discuss student loans, merit scholarships, and other options. You can contact them at 502.272.7300. Their office is located in Horrigan Hall, Room 202.

How do I apply to Bellarmine?

Service members and veterans will follow the same application process as the general population. It is a separate process from the VA application for benefits that you can begin at any time. Apply now on our application page.

In addition, you should contact Bellarmine Military and Veterans Service and introduce yourself as an incoming student. We would like to get to know you and introduce ourselves. It is always nice to put a face to a name, and it would give us an opportunity to help ease the transition into Bellarmine and discuss some of the benefits available to you on campus.

How soon do tuition and stipend benefits start?

At this time, benefits generally require 3 to 8 weeks to take effect.

Can I transfer my benefits to my spouse or child?

Yes, but the VA determines whether you can do the transfer. You can find full information on the transfer process by visiting the Veterans Affairs website.

Can I transfer my benefits from another school?

You can transfer your benefits from another school to Bellarmine University using the Change of Place of Training Form 22-1995. This form can be found on the VA website.

What happens if I am called up to active duty?

If you are called to active duty or receive a notice of transfer, contact Bellarmine Military Services immediately and we will discuss all the options available. In the normal course, if you are called up or transferred in the middle of a semester, it would be virtually impossible for you to continue your studies for that semester. There may be extenuating circumstances, so a review will be done on a case-by-case basis if requested. Follow the below step-by-step instructions to withdraw:

Step 1: Immediately notify your academic advisor and Bellarmine Veterans and Military Services Office of your situation.
Step 2: Fill out the Bellarmine Course Withdrawal Form found on the Registrar’s page, and the Tuition Appeal Form, which you can request to be sent to you by emailing the Bursars Office at
Step 3: Submit the Course Withdrawal Form to the Registrar’s Office.
Step 4: Submit the Tuition Appeal Form, a copy of the Course Withdrawal Form, and a copy of your military orders to Veterans and Military and Services and the Bursar Office. Timely submission of the documents will allow the current tuition and fees to be reversed.

What do I do if I have applied for, but not received my Certificate of Eligibility and classes have started?

If you have applied for but not received your COE, your eligibility and amount of benefits is unknown. If enrolled and you receive a bill, you should go to the Bursar Office and advise them of the delay, your status, and discuss available options regarding your Bellarmine bill.

Should I be concerned if my benefits have not started after the beginning of classes?

If Bellarmine Veterans and Military Services has your COE and class schedule, your status is confirmed and the documentation has been processed with the VA. There normally is a delay in the start of benefits once the documentation is received by the VA. In the interim, you may receive a bill from the Bursar Office as a matter of routine practice. If you do, contact them immediately and advise them you are in contact with the Bellarmine Veterans and Military Services. Once the Bursar Office knows you have applied for VA benefits, they will normally hold the bill in abeyance. DO NOT IGNORE notices from the Bursar Office or they may add on penalties, which are not easy to remove.

Do I need to do anything each semester I continue my enrollment?

Provided you remain enrolled there is normally no need to contact the VA. However, you must contact the Bellarmine Veterans and Military Services and provide us with a copy of your current class schedule as soon as you register for each semester.

What are my responsibilities each semester I am enrolled at Bellarmine?

Each semester you are responsible in letting Bellarmine’s Veterans & Military Services know you are enrolled and wish to use your VA benefits. This is done by simply filling out the Semester Enrollment Form and submitting the completed form to our office. You will receive a confirmation email when you submit it.