Colleges of Distinction, a national higher education resource for students, recognized Bellarmine University for its support of military students.
"Joining the Army was the best decision of my life,” Welch said. “The second-best was coming to Bellarmine." —Brandon Welch
The organization praised Bellarmine for its comprehensive education benefits, a committed military and veterans affairs team, flexible options, trained faculty and dedicated campus activities and community support.
Bellarmine is the only private university in Kentucky to receive the distinction.
Bellarmine’s Office of Military and Veteran Services provides:
- VA and military benefit counseling and enrollment
- Specialized semester orientations
- Military/veteran student-specific programming, such as Military Appreciation Basketball games, Boots-to-Books, lunch-and-learns and peer mentorship
- A lounge and study space dedicated to military-affiliated students
- Advocacy on campus for policy changes for military-ready environment, such as priority registration and Military Absence Policy
- A Council of Military and Veteran staff and faculty members
- A Registered Student Organization for military and veteran students
Why military-affiliated students choose Bellarmine?
In addition to the services offered by the Office of Military and Veteran Services:
- Bellarmine is a Yellow Ribbon university, meaning the Post-9/11 GI Bill allows them to attend most programs for free.
- Students classified as Active Duty, Guard or Reserves receive a $250 tuition rate and may use their tuition assistance benefits.
Brandon Welch, a student of Bellarmine’s Business Management program and an Army veteran, said the university made him feel at home.
"Joining the Army was the best decision of my life,” Welch said. “The second-best was coming to Bellarmine. Never as a veteran have I felt more welcomed, supported and at home than I have at Bellarmine.”