All F-1 and J-1 visa holders and dependent family members must have health insurance for the duration of their program at Bellarmine. Our coverage requirements are the same as those mandated by the U.S. federal government for exchange visitors. See below for more detail.
Exchange students must be enrolled through a program that Bellarmine contracts with a third party. Degree-seeking students will also be enrolled in this policy if they do not provide proof of sufficient insurance. In some countries, insurance may be available that covers an individual when they travel. Be aware that some of these policies do not normally pay directly and you must pay “out of pocket” if sick or injured and be reimbursed afterward. This can be quite expensive in the United States.
Please note that the Bellarmine international student plan does not cover injuries as a result of participation in an official Athletics team. The university maintains a separate plan for student-athletes; please contact Athletics regarding that coverage.
Currently Bellarmine secures your insurance through Cultural Insurance Services International (CISI). Bellarmine will apply for your coverage and, prior to your arrival, you will receive your Proof of Insurance via email delivery to your Bellarmine email address. The cost will be charged to your student account.
Plan Coverage and Requirements
In accordance with federal regulations for J-1 exchange visitors, any plan must cover pre-existing conditions after a reasonable waiting period and it cannot exclude benefits for perils inherent to the activities of the exchange visitor's program. The mimimum coverage requirements also include:
- Medical benefits of at least $100,000 per accident or illness
- Repatriation of remains for at least $25,000
- Expenses connected to medical evacuation to your home country of at least $50,000
- Deductible should not exceed $500 per accident or illness
- May include coinsurance up to 25% of the covered benefits per accident or illness
In addition, the plan must be from a reliable source, which we evaluate by the following:
- Underwritten by an insurance corporation having one of the following:
- an A.M. Best rating of A- or above
- a McGraw Hill Financial/Standard & Poor's Claims paying ability rating of A- or above
- a Weiss Research, Inc. rating of B+ or above
- a Fitch Ratings, Inc. rating of A- or above
- a Moody's investor Services rating of A3 or above
- or such other rating as the Department of State may from time to time specify
- OR backed by the full faith and credit of the government of the visitor's home country
- OR part of a health benefits program offered on a group basis to employees or enrolled students by a designated sponsor
- OR offered through or underwritten by a federally qualified Health Maintenance Organization or eligible Competitive Medical Plan as determined by the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services of the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services