What is Community Engagement?
Community engagement describes the collaboration between institutions of higher education and their larger communities (local, regional/state, national, global) for the mutual creation and exchange of knowledge and resources in the context of
partnership and reciprocity.
The purpose of community engagement is the sharing of knowledge and resources between colleges and universities and the public and private sectors:
- to enrich scholarship, research, and creative activity;
- enhance curriculum, teaching, and learning;
- prepare educated and engaged life-long learners;
- strengthen participants’ sense of community and civic responsibility;
- address critical societal issues; and
- contribute to the public good.