Bellarmine University prepares students for application to graduate programs in pharmacy. Each school of pharmacy has its own specific admission requirements including science GPA standards, prerequisite coursework (see the Pharmacy Programs section), the PCAT exam and the demonstration of a commitment to pharmacy through such activities as shadowing, volunteering and employment.
While most students interested in a career in the pharmacy field tend to major in the sciences due to the heavy preponderance of science prerequisites, pharmacy schools place no such restrictions on a student’s major. For students not majoring in the sciences, it is strongly recommended that they meet with a pre-pharmacy advisor (see Advisors below) as soon as possible due to the sequential nature of many of the prerequisite pre-pharmacy courses particularly those in the sciences. The pre-pharmacy advisors will work with students in order to ensure that the pre-requisite pre-pharmacy courses are incorporated into the student’s major.
Example Requirements for Admission to a Pharmacy Program
Bellarmine students pursue their pharmacy degrees at a range of schools and pharmacy schools' admission requirements vary. As an example of what you'll need to complete to enter a pharmacy program, please review the requirements of the University of Kentucky's School of Pharmacy below:
- 2 semesters English composition (6 credit hours)
- 1 semester animal biology, with lab (4-5 credit hours)
- 1 semester principles of microbiology, with lab (4-5 credit hours)
- 1 semester calculus I (at least 4 credit hours - (students not prepared to take calculus may take college algebra and elementary calculus with applications for 6 hours)
- 1 semester human anatomy or physiology (3 credit hours)
- 2 semesters general chemistry, with lab (8-10 credit hours)
- 2 semesters organic chemistry, with labs (8-10 credit hours)
- 2 semesters algebra-based physics (at least 8 credit hours)
- 1 semester principles of microeconomics (3 credit hours)
- 1 semester 200-level statistics (3 credit hours)
For more information, click here to view UK Transfer Equivalencies Chart (pdf).
Note: University Studies Program courses no longer are required but strongly are recommended. Courses include:
- 1 semester social studies (general psychology) (3 credit hours)
- 2 semesters humanities (6 credit hours)
- 1 semester of a cross-cultural course (3 credit hours) that studies a culture different than U.S. culture
- 1 semester of communications (basic public speaking or interpersonal communications)
For more information on admission requirements, please visit the American Association of Colleges of Pharmacy.
Courses Offered at Bellarmine
Joseph F. Sinski, Ph.D. (email)
Pasteur Hall 254
Patrick L. Holt, Ph.D. (email)
Pasteur Hall 212