This program prepares registered nurses for basic entry into operating room practice. The program requires a commitment of 4 classroom hours and 4 clinical hours per week for 9 weeks. Classes are held at Norton Audubon Hospital and clinical hours are worked at Louisville-area hospitals. Earn 37.8 contact hours. Textbook required. Enrollment limited to 20.
- Instructors: Michele Harbin RN, BSN, MBA, CNOR is the System Educator of Surgical Services for the Norton Healthcare Institute for Nursing; Linda Boley, RN. MSN, CNOR, is a Perioperative Educator at Norton Suburban Hospital.
- PROF 319 / 9 Mondays / Feb. 10 - April 14 (except Mar. 31) / 4:30 - 8:30 p.m. / $349 ($399 after Feb. 3) (view refund policy below.)
- To register, call Bellarmine at 502.272.8166, submit registration form or click here for online registration.
Objectives of the Perioperative Certificate Program:
1. Discuss the various roles of the OR team
2. Demonstrate Asceptic techniques and identify boundaries of the sterile field
3. Explain the different types of sterilization and disinfection used in the OR
4. Demonstrate an understanding of prepping, scrubbing, gowning and gloving
5. Identify and describe the functions of basic instrumentation
6. Discuss the various options for anesthesia
7. Discuss the variety of lasers used in the OR and safety precautions during the use of the laser
8. Identify the considerations in the care of various patient populations
9. Identify legal and ethical considerations related to perioperative nursing
This program has been approved for 37.8 contact hours by Bellarmine University. (KBN Provider #3-00031-12-17-27-2-2-2).
Kentucky Board of Nursing approval of an individual provider does not
constitute endorsement of program content. For successful completion the
participant must attend the program in its entirety.
Textbook: Berry & Kohn's Operating Room Technique by Nancymarie Phillips 12th
Edition ISBN 978-0323073585 Available at www.bellarmine.bkstr.com. Limited
copies available on campus. Purchase early to avoid disappointment.
Refunds (courses with five or more sessions):
* 100% if notification is received 10 or more days before the first class
* 50% if notification is received less than 10 days before the first class but prior to the second class.
* No refund after the second class.