This program prepares registered nurses for basic entry into operating room practice. The program requires a commitment of 4 classroom hours and 4 clinical hours per week for 9 weeks. Classes are held a Louisville hospital and clinical hours are worked at a variety of hospitals. Earn 37.8 contact hours. Textbook required. Enrollment limited to 20.
- Instructors: Michele Harbin RN, BSN, MBA, CNOR is the System Educator of Surgical Services for the Norton Healthcare Institute for Nursing; Linda Boley, RN. MSN, CNOR, is a Perioperative Educator at Norton Women's and Kosair Children's Hospitals.
- PROF 319 / 9 Mondays / Feb. 8 - Apr. 18 (excluding Mar. 28 and Apr. 4) / 4:30 - 8:30 p.m. / $349 ($399 after Jan. 29) (view refund policy below.)
- To register, call Bellarmine at 502.272.8166, or click here for online registration.
Objectives of the Perioperative Certificate Program:
- Discuss the various roles of the OR team
- Demonstrate Asceptic techniques and identify boundaries of the sterile field
- Explain the different types of sterilization and disinfection used in the OR
- Demonstrate an understanding of prepping, scrubbing, gowning and gloving
- Identify and describe the functions of basic instrumentation
- Discuss the various options for anesthesia
- Discuss the variety of lasers used in the OR and safety precautions during the use of the laser
- Identify the considerations in the care of various patient populations
- Identify legal and ethical considerations related to perioperative nursing
This program has been approved for 37.8 contact hours by Bellarmine University. (KBN Provider #3-00031-12-17-73-2-2-2).
Kentucky Board of Nursing approval of an individual provider does not
constitute endorsement of program content. For successful completion the
participant must attend the program in its entirety.
Textbook: Berry & Kohn's Operating Room Technique by Nancymarie Phillips 12th
Edition ISBN 978-0323073585. Available at www.bellarmine.bkstr.com. Limited
copies available on campus. Purchase early to avoid disappointment.
Refunds (courses with five or more sessions):
- 100% if notification is received 10 or more days before the first class
- 50% if notification is received less than 10 days before the first class but prior to the second class.
- No refund after the second class.