The Mission of the Exercise Science Department is for students, faculty and graduates to advocate for healthy living, wellness and the prevention of disease related to physical inactivity and personal health decisions. Rooted in Catholic traditions of excellence in education and principles of social justice, the Department emphasizes outreach and service to all individuals of varying backgrounds, ages, needs and abilities to promote healthy lifestyles, wellness and fitness. Bellarmine’s foundation in the Liberal Arts provides graduates from the Exercise Science program with essential communication, critical and ethical thinking skills. A broad array of courses in much more than Exercise Science form their education while at Bellarmine.
Exercise Science is the study of how the human body responds to exercise and movement. The field emphasizes concepts of health, wellness and fitness, and the scientific basis of sports performance. Students in the exercise science program will take courses in exercise physiology, kinesiology, exercise testing and prescription, nutrition, anatomy and physiology, chemistry and physics.
The Exercise Science Department prepares students to be advocates for community wellness, for careers and graduate school opportunities in healthcare, fitness and wellness, and to develop lifetime awareness of healthy living. The curriculum emphasizes the role of the exercise specialist in the prevention of disease through physical activity and health awareness.
The goals of the Bellarmine University Exercise Science Department are to prepare students to:
- Prevent and treat disease related to physical inactivity and poor nutrition.
- Promote health, wellness, fitness and quality of life for everyone.
- Enhance human performance and athletic performance across lifespan.
- Promote personal responsibility toward wellness and champion proactive lifestyles to improve the body, mind and spirit of the individual for life.
- Advocate for healthy lifestyle and wellness in the community, especially for those that are underserved and marginalized.
- Pursue graduates studies and careers in healthcare, fitness and wellness.
Careers in Exercise Science
Learn more about the opportunities available to Exercise Scientists below.
Kent Brown, Ph.D., CSCS. Assistant Professor (email) (CV)
Paul Loprinzi, Ph.D. Assistant Professor (email) (CV)
Sara Mahoney, Ph.D. HFS Assistant Professor (email) (CV)
Bellarmine offers a wide variety of study abroad options on 6 continents in over 50 countries and at over 150 partner campuses around the globe.
Exercise Science Department
2001 Newburg Road
Louisville, KY 40205
Mark R. Wiegand, PT, PhD
Dean and Professor
Kent Brown, PhD, MS, CSCS
Chair, Exercise Science Department
Julie Armstrong-Binnix, M.Ed.
Lansing School Recruiter