Yellow Ribbon

Yellow Ribbon Benefits at Bellarmine


Nationally recognized for its support of military and veteran students, Bellarmine's small class sizes and focus on personal attention is a great place for you or a qualified dependent to start, continue or finish your education. Bellarmine is a  Yellow Ribbon university, meaning the Post-9/11 GI Bill allows them to attend most programs for free. There is no cap on Yellow Ribbon benefits at Bellarmine.

Also, students classified as Active Duty, Guard or Reserves receive a $250 tuition rate and may use their tuition assistance benefits. For more on Bellarmine's Chapter 33 (Post 9/11) Yellow Ribbon benefits, continue reading below the video.



Application for Benefits

Apply here for the Post 9/11 GI Bill®. The Department of Veteran Affairs can take up to eight to 12 weeks to process the application for benefits. Once the application becomes finalized, the student will receive a CERTIFICATE OF ELIGIBILITY, which verifies the percentage of benefits as well as months of entitlement available. The VA Certifying Official will need a copy for the student’s file. Download your COE electronically here.

You must apply for your benefits no later than the dates below to allow enough time for the Department of Veteran Affairs to process the application for benefits. Keep in mind, applying by this date does not guarantee that the application will be processed before the start of a new semester.

Fall Semester: 7/1

Spring Semester: 11/1

Summer Semester: 3/1


Requesting Benefits

To request the use of your benefits, please fill out the Semester Enrollment Form. Once completed, click “submit” at the bottom of the page. This form must be completed prior to the start of EACH semester in which you use any benefits.


Approved Degree Programs

The Department of Veteran Affairs will only pay education benefits for courses that apply toward an approved major or degree program. It is the responsibility of the veteran/dependent to make sure the enrolled courses are approved as general education requirements.

It is the responsibility of the veteran/dependent to notify the Veteran Affairs office if you change majors or degree programs. Failure to do so may result in the termination of VA education benefits.


Visiting Student at another School

If you are attending another university as a visiting student, you must have a visiting student letter on file in the Office of Military & Veteran Student Services before the course can be certified for VA benefits at the visiting institution. You will need to obtain a copy of the visiting student letter to send to the School Certifying Official at the visiting institution. The visiting institution also requires a copy of your certificate of eligibility for proof of benefits.


Change of Address

It is the responsibility of the veteran/dependent to keep the Department of Veteran Affairs and the certifying official informed of your current address. To update your address, visit (Ask a question/find an answer) and submit the information.


Direct Deposit

To establish or change direct deposit information, contact the Department of Veteran Affairs at 1-877-838-2778 immediately, or use their website. Failure to contact the VA with changes may delay payments.


Transfer Students

Chapter 33 veterans transferring from another school must complete a Change of Place of Training (22-1995) online. Copy the link below for detailed instructions click here.  Dependents transferring from another institution using the Post-9/11 GI Bill® must fill out a Change of Place of Training (22-5495) online.


Accessibility Resource Center

For the Accessibility Resource Center call 502-272-8490 or email Ronda Purdy at to schedule an appointment. The staff coordinates services and programs for students with disabilities. Accommodations and support are individualized depending on the needs of the student.


Full-Time/Part-Time Status (VA purposes only)

12 hrs +Full-time6 hrs+Full-time
9 – 11 hrs3/4 time4 – 5 hrs3/4 time
6 – 8 hrs1/2 time3 hrs1/2 time
1 - 5 hrsLess than 1/2 time2 hrsMore than 1/4; Less than 1/2 time


Please contact the Veterans Affairs Representative regarding summer enrollment status.


Unauthorized Repeats

The Department of Veteran Affairs will only pay for repeated courses when the initial grade is an “F.” A grade of a “D” or higher is considered a satisfactory grade by the Department of Veteran Affairs and will not be paid if the course is repeated.

  • VA Policy for Payment of the Following Punitive Grades:
  • F (Earned Failure): VA will pay for the course with continued attendance
  • Unearned failure: student stopped attending: VA will not pay

You are responsible for ALL debts resulting from reductions or terminations of your enrollment, even if the payment was submitted directly to the school on your behalf.  THE VA WILL NOT PAY FOR ANY AUDITED COURSES UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES.


Post 9/11 Chapter 33 Veterans

The Post 9/11 GI Bill® pays tuition and fees, a monthly housing allowance, and a book stipend. All benefits are paid on a sliding scale based on the length of service.



The VA pays the maximum allowed as posted on See Yellow Ribbon Program for additional tuition benefit information.


Yellow Ribbon Eligibility

Bellarmine University has an unlimited number, no cap, of Yellow Ribbon Scholarships available. You will receive the scholarship if you are eligible and if your tuition and fees for the school year exceed the maximum amount available from the Forever GI Bill®. The Yellow Ribbon Program is only available to those using Chapter 33 and entitled to the maximum benefit rate (100%).


Basic Allowance for Housing

The Basic Allowance for Housing is calculated for the zip code of the location of training. Click here for current rates. The housing allowance is paid one month behind, on the 1st of each month.


Monthly Enrollment Verification

Post-9/11 GI Bill® recipients are required to verify their enrollment with the VA monthly while in school to receive their BAH. You should have received a text from the VA to opt into text verification. If you have not or have opted out, please call 1 (888) 442-4551 to verify your enrollment.


Book Stipend

As of the date of the document, the book stipend is $41.67 per credit hour to a maximum of 24 credit hours per calendar year, up to a maximum of $1,000. It is normally paid twice a year (fall & spring). The book allowance is generally sent out two weeks before the start of each semester.



Post 9/11 Chapter 33 Transferee

  • Transfer of Benefits to Dependents and/or Spouses
  • The service member’s 36 months of benefits could be transferred to:
  • A spouse
  • One or more children
  • Or split between the spouse and child(ren)

VA/DOD will determine eligibility for educational benefits for dependents/spouses. To transfer benefits, the individual must be on active duty, serve for at least six years and choose to serve an additional four years. Benefits must be transferred while on active duty.


Transfer Websites


For specific questions regarding your benefits, call the GI Bill® hotline at 888-442-4551. GI Bill® is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs. For other questions, contact Lindsay Gargotto, MSW, MFA, Director of Military & Veteran Services at or 502.272.7027


Tags: Yellow Ribbon



Located in the historic Highlands neighborhood of Louisville, Kentucky, Bellarmine University is a vibrant community of educational excellence and ethical awareness that consistently ranks among the nation’s best colleges and universities. Our students pursue an education based in the liberal arts – and in the distinguished, inclusive Catholic tradition of educational excellence, the oldest and most rewarding in the western world. It is a lifelong education, worthy of the university’s namesake, Saint Robert Bellarmine, and of his invitation to each of us to learn and live In Veritatis Amore – in the love of all that is beautiful, true and good in life.