The mission of Bellarmine’s International Student & Scholar Services (IS) is to provide the support you need as an international student or scholar wishing to come to the United States. We accomplish this mission through personalized service; following you through the normal admissions or exchange visitor process and providing you with everything you need in order to safely arrive on Bellarmine’s campus. We check you in once you arrive on campus, answer your questions, and work with you to ensure you remain in compliance with the requirements of your visa for the duration of your planned program of studies.
If you are already on Bellarmine’s campus and have any questions, please drop by International Services and let us help. We are in Horrigan Hall, Rm 205F. You can also call us at 502.272.8027. We are always happy to meet and look forward to hearing from you.
The General Overview
What issues are there when coming to the United States to study? No matter which visa (J or F) there are some similarities to keep in mind. Your first step is to verify you have all the required documents and schedule an appointment (For F-1, For J-1).
Applicants will usually apply at the U.S. Embassy or Consulate in the country of his or her permanent residence. Please click here for the list of websites for U.S. Embassies and Consulates. Although visa applicants may apply at any U.S. consular office, it may be more difficult to qualify for the visa outside the country of permanent residence, especially since one of the criteria in the approval process reviews the connection you have to your home country.
Required documents/evidence to have your visa appointment
- I-20 or DS-2019 (Issued by the U.S. university you will
- Evidence of financial ability to meet expenses
- Evidence of English ability sufficient for course of
- Evidence of intent to depart the U.S. after completion
of studies (remember, both F and J visas are considered “non-immigrant
- Passport valid for at least 6 months
- Photograph (check with embassy for specific dimensions)
- SEVIS Fee payment proof - Current SEVIS Fee Information
- Evidence of Appointment Fee payment (Different from SEVIS payment)
- Completed DS-160 Online Nonimmigrant Visa Application