Life is filled with challenges, big and small. Resilience is the capacity to adapt well in the face of adversity, disappointment, loss, stress, and even trauma. In other words, it is the ability to cope with and “bounce back” from hardships. We all have this capacity to varying degrees, and we can all cultivate more.
Ways to cultivate resilience
- Viewing adversity as a part of living
- Making strong social connections
- Remaining optimistic about our capacity to overcome challenges
- Staying focused on our long-term goals
- Focusing on our personal values and spiritual beliefs
- Putting events into perspective (seeing the big picture)
- Being flexible in our thinking (seeking alterative paths to reach our goals)
- Viewing mistakes and failures as normal and a part of learning
- Being compassionate to yourself and others
- Maintaining a healthy lifestyle through rest/sleep, exercise, and nutrition.
- Keeping a sense of humor
- Asking for help