To be a part of the Pioneer Scholars Program you don’t need to submit an application or be selected! You are automatically placed in Pioneer Scholars if you are a first-generation student! Follow the steps below to ensure you are a part of the program!
- Identify if you are a first-generation student—Bellarmine defines first generation as neither parent graduating from a four year college or university.
- On your application to Bellarmine University self-select that you are a first-generation student.
- When you confirm that you are attending Bellarmine and fill out the advising form to enroll in classes self-select again that you are a first-generation student.
- If you complete the above steps you will automatically be placed in the Pioneer Scholars Program, BU 022 will be placed on your fall class schedule, and you will be paired with a sophomore, junior or senior Pioneer Peer Mentor!
Benefits of Participating
- Firsthand information from current Bellarmine students on registering for classes, how to study in college, how to get involved on campus, how to prepare for finals, stress relief techniques, and career exploration
- Support, motivation, and encouragement to make the transition from high school to college successful.
- Interaction with faculty and staff on campus.
- Connecting with other first-generation students at Bellarmine.
- Guidance and advice from peer mentors that are available and willing to meet anytime throughout the year.
- Volunteer opportunities to help give back to Louisville organizations and the community.
- Opportunity to gain leadership experience and help others by applying to be a Pioneer Peer Mentor.
- Welcome gift for attending the first Pioneer event of the year.
- A free t-shirt and sweatshirt with the exclusive Pioneer Scholars logo.
- Periodic free lunches served to you and your group.
- Students who actively participate throughout the entire academic year will receive a special first generation cord to wear at Bellarmine graduation.