Dr. Courtney Keim, Assistant Professor of Psychology, received her B.A. in Psychology from Christian Brothers University and her Ph.D. in Experimental Psychology, with a concentration in Industrial & Organizational Psychology, from the University of Memphis. Her research focus is in organizational wellness with an emphasis on stress in the workplace, job insecurity, and personality. She also conducts pedagogical research, including the use of high-impact, applied projects in college courses.
Dr. Keim is also Chair of the Psychology in the Workplace Committee for the Kentucky Psychological Association, which conducts the Psychologically Healthy Workplace Awards for Kentucky. These awards recognize organizations with programs and policies that foster employee health and well-being while enhancing organizational performance. In addition to her work with that committee, Dr. Keim has worked with many organizations, including the U.S. Navy, FedEx Services, Regions Financial, the Center for Healthcare and Technology, and Hospitality Control Solutions.
Dr. Keim teaches courses in Introductory Psychology, Personality Psychology, Professions in Psychology, and Introduction to Industrial & Organizational Psychology. She also supervisors internships for the psychology department and enjoys advising students.
Dr. Keim is married to Drew Keim, an IT Director. They have a young daughter, who keeps them very busy, and a Siberian Husky named Pico. Besides teaching, Dr. Keim enjoys cooking with her family, gardening, and reading.
- Earnest, D.R., Rosenbusch, K., Wallace-Williams, D., & Keim, A. C. (in press). Study Abroad in Psychology: Increasing Cultural Competencies through Experiential Learning. Teaching of Psychology.
- Keim, A. C., Landis, R. S., Pierce, C. A., & Earnest, D. R. (2014). Why Do Employees Worry About Their Jobs? A Meta-Analytic Review of Predictors of Job Insecurity. Journal of Occupational Health Psychology, 19(3), 269-290. doi:10.1037/a0036743
- Cornell, P., Keim, A.C., Petschonek, S., Sanders, A., D’Mello, S., Herrin-Griffith, D., Golden, T., & Shepherd, G. (2010). Transforming nursing workflow Part I: The chaotic nature of nurse activities. Journal of Nursing Administration, 40, 9, 366-373.
- Keim, A.C., & Wilkinson, A. (2010). The Broken Psychological Contract: Examining why job insecurity happens and what to do about it. Business Perspectives, 20, 2, 22-27.
Manuscripts in Preparation
- Keim, A. C., Earnest, D. E., Church-Nally, M. K., Sanders, A. M. Learning Beyond the Classroom: Incorporating High Impact Practices into Undergraduate I-O Psychology Courses
Recent conference presentations:
- Earnest, D. R., Rosenbusch, K., Wallace-Williams, D., & Keim, A. C. (2014, August). High Impact Learning in Psychology: Experiential learning through study abroad. Poster presented at the 2014 American Psychological Association’s Annual Convention, Washington D.C.
- Keim, A. C., & Landis, R. S. (2013). A Transactional Model of Job Insecurity, Personality, and Coping. In T.M. Probst & M.E. Debus (Chairs), Who Is Most Affected by Job Insecurity and Why? Symposium conducted at the 28th annual conference of the Society for Industrial and Organizational Psychology, Houston, TX.
- Keim, A.C., Landis, R.S., Pierce, C.A. (2012). Antecedents of Job Insecurity: A Meta-Analytic Review. Poster presented at the 27th annual conference of the Society for Industrial and Organizational Psychology. San Diego, CA.
- Harrison, H.D., Wallace, J.S., Gnuschke, J.E., & Keim, C. (2011). Broadening Access: The impact of female, minority and older community college graduates’ employment and earnings, 2002-2008. Presented at the 2011 Tennessee Board of Regents Research Development Conference. Nashville, TN.
- Fertitta, A.M., & Keim, A.C. (2011). Online recruiting: A technologically enhanced HR process providing organizational and environmental benefits. In J. Pierce (Chair), Online recruiting: Taking it to the next level. Symposium conducted at the 26th annual conference of the Society for Industrial and Organizational Psychology. Chicago, IL.
- Keim, A.C., & Fertitta, A. M. (2008). Mental Fatigue: How does it affect performance during a work break? Poster presented at the 2008 River Cities Industrial/Organizational Conference, Chattanooga, TN.
- Petschonek, S., Fertitta, A. M., Earnest, D., Keim, A.C., & Murphy, C. (2008). Refining Workplace Assessments: Building a Comprehensive Environmental Assessment Tool. Poster presented at the 2008 River Cities Industrial/Organizational Conference, Chattanooga, TN.
- Fertitta, A. M., Keim, A.C., & Petschonek, S. (2008). Does your hospital have pod people? How Individual Workstations Influence Nurse Workflow. Poster presented at the Midwest Applied Psychology Conference, Carbondale, IL.
- Keim, A.C. (2008). Work Breaks: An avenue for reducing mental fatigue in the workplace. In C. Keim (Chair), Factors of Stress and Safety as They Affect Performance. Symposium conducted at the 2008 Midwest Applied Psychology Conference, Carbondale, IL.