Application to the Doctor of Physical Therapy Program is highly competitive and generally requires the completion of a bachelor’s degree and all program prerequisites prior to starting in the program. All applications to the Doctor of Physical Therapy program at Bellarmine University must be made through the Physical Therapy Centralized Application Service (PTCAS). Bellarmine University does not require a supplemental application packet. Additional information on the PTCAS can be found here.
The priority application deadline for the May 2015 cohort is October 1, 2014 and the final application deadline is December 1, 2014.
Prerequisite Courses (or Equivalents) for the DPT Program
(Bellarmine courses in parentheses).
- 2 semesters of anatomy and physiology with lab (BIOL 108 & 109; two semesters of 300+ level biology courses can substitute for this prerequisite)
- 1 semester of general biology with lab (BIOL 130)
- 1 semester of advanced physiology such as vertebrate physiology, mammalian physiology, exercise physiology or pathophysiology (BIOL 300 or BIOL 314 or EXSC 240)
- 2 semesters of college chemistry with lab (CHEM 103 & 104)
- 2 semesters of college physics with lab (PHYS 201 & 202 or PHYS 205 & 206)
- 1 semester of psychology (PSYC 103 or 104)
- 1 semester of statistics (MATH 205)
Highly qualified Bellarmine University undergraduate students may be admitted to the Doctor of Physical Therapy Program after completing all prerequisite and general education courses (except IDC. 401). A minimum of 90 semester hours and completion of the junior year of coursework in a declared major at Bellarmine is mandatory before starting the DPT program. Transfer applicants to the professional program must hold a baccalaureate degree and have completed all program prerequisite courses.
Admission to the program is selective and highly competitive. Students attending Bellarmine as undergraduates are preferentially admitted to the Doctor of Physical Therapy Program.
Qualified applicants to the program must have:
- a minimum prerequisite point average of 3.00/4.00
- a minimum overall (cumulative) undergraduate grade point average of 2.75/4.00
- completed seven of the ten prerequisite courses prior to January 1 of the admission year
- completed all program prerequisites prior to entering the professional curriculum
- a grade of “C” or better in all prerequisites courses
- taken the Graduate Record Examination (GRE) in the past 5 years and had their official scores submitted to Bellarmine University (School Code 1056; PT Program Code 7674)
- 25 clock hours of documented work or volunteer experience in a physical therapy setting
- the physical ability to perform tasks required of a physical therapist
Incoming Student Statistics
| Incoming Class ||2008 ||2009 ||2010 ||2011 ||2012 ||2013 |
| Number of applications ||206 || 330 ||414 ||506 ||625 ||861 |
| Incoming class size ||48 ||48 ||48 ||49 ||60 ||64 |
| Number student accepted (accepted and on waiting list) ||73 ||86 ||102 ||79 ||138 || 187 |
| Average incoming GPA ||3.44 ||3.44 ||3.48 ||3.61 ||3.52 ||3.39 |
| Average incoming prereq GPA ||3.40 ||3.44 ||3.51 ||3.63 ||3.57 ||3.52 |
| Number of incoming Bellarmine students ||30 ||24 ||26 ||21 ||22 || 15 |
These numbers reflect averages. Some accepted students scored higher and some lower than the numbers shown here.
All correspondence relevant to admission should be directed to:
Office of Graduate Admission
2001 Newburg Road
Louisville, KY 40205