Individuals who want to appeal a parking violation must do so by submitting an appeal form within five (5) business days from the issuance of the citation. All rights to appeal are forfeited after the five (5) day period. The appeal process is not a process to file parking complaints. Students’ general parking complaints may be directed to SGA.
General Guidelines for Appeals
Failure to follow the procedures for appeal will result in the assessment of appropriate fines and a forfeit of the right to appeal. This includes, but is not limited to falsifying information on the Appeals Form.
Appeals must be made (submitted) within five business days of the date of citation, utilizing the Appeals Form.
- The following shall be grounds for which an appeal is considered:
- Substantial and valid evidence that the alleged parking violation was not committed
- Appellant can verify that he or she was misinformed by parking services personnel
- Verifiable officer error
- The following reasons not considered valid for an appeal include but are not limited to the following*:
- Lack of knowledge of regulations such as new to the college or have not reviewed the regulations
- Tardiness due to class or appointment
- Disagreement with or inability to pay the amount of fine
- Violation was of short duration
- The lot in which the violation occurred was not full
- Incomplete documentation that college personnel misinformed driver
- Lack of convenient parking spaces
- Not seeing or reading the posted lot signs or line markings
- Lost the citation
- Other vehicles were parked improperly
- Inability to find a legally marked parking space.
Appeals are heard once a month with the SGA Traffic and Safety Committee. Individuals may choose to attend the meeting; however, it is not necessary for the completion of the appeals process. Individuals filing an appeal will be notified of the Traffic and Safety Committee’s meeting date by e-mail after filing the Appeals Form.
Individuals filing an appeal will receive the committee’s decision by e-mail within 48 hours following the committee meeting.
*Remember - The issue in your appeal is not whether the parking regulations are fair, but whether you violated those regulations.