Professional Standards, Ethics & Equal Opportunity
Bellarmine University (BU) is not responsible for the safety, wages, working conditions or other aspects of any off-campus employment postings listed on this site. BU makes no representations or guarantees about quality of student/alumni applicants as we do not perform background checks on individuals applying for jobs. Employers and students/alumni are encouraged to request reference information from each other as needed to establish qualifications, credentials and overall fit between the employer and the applicant. BU Career Development Center endorses the Principles for Professional Conduct for Career Services & Employment Professionals the National Association of Colleges and Employers. These principles provide a framework for professional relationships among colleges/universities, employing organizations, and candidates. The Career Development Center also complies with Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action laws in all career services activities.
All employers requesting access to BU Career Development Center services and/or events must be registered users of Handshake. New employers may request an employer account at BU’s Handshake. By logging on to Handshake the employer agrees to the terms and conditions set forth by BU for the use of this online recruiting system. Failure to abide by these terms and conditions may result in discontinuation of access to Handshake. Other reasons for discontinuation of access include, but are not limited to, invalid employer e-mail addresses, inappropriate messaging, evidence of fraudulent activity, or other items deemed inappropriate by the Career Development Center Director or the appropriate designee.
All job opportunities are posted at the discretion of the BU Career Development Center. The BU Career Development Center abides by the National Association of Colleges and Employers (NACE) Principles for Professional Practice. The BU Career Development Center may deny and/or remove access rights for organizations that do not support the policies and procedures of NACE, Bellarmine University or that violate state and/or federal law.
Registering and logging onto Handshake indicates you have read, understand, and agreed to terms and conditions of the agreement outlined below:
The BU Career Development Center reserves the right to deny access to any student, alumni, recruiter, vendor, employer, school, or organization from participating in any recruitment event/service including, but not limited to: on-campus and off-campus recruiting, resume referrals/books, employment postings, or career fairs.
By utilizing BU Career Development Center events/services, organizations agree they will adhere to theNational Association of Colleges & Employers (NACE) Principles for Professional Practice.
The following posting guidelines are provided:
- Positions that require any form of monetary commitment from students prior to employment can be posted only if the payout structure as well as any upfront costs, special fees or purchases for required training materials as a preliminary condition of employment is clearly defined and advertised within the job description.
- Positions that are compensated only by commission can be posted if the payout structure is clearly defined.
- Positions that appear to discriminate against applicants on the basis of race, creed, color, sex, religion, national origin, age, disability, veterans or marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, and any other protected group status will not be posted.
- Positions that do not comply with Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) standards will not be posted.
- Internships, both paid and unpaid, that do not comply with the U.S. Department of Labor’s Fair Labor Standards Act for Trainees or Students will not be posted.
- Unpaid internship postings with “for-profit” private sector employers that do not encompass the six criteria as defined by the U.S. Department of Labor’s Test for Unpaid Interns will not be posted.
- Part-Time/Temporary postings offering compensation lower than the U.S. Department of Labor’s Guidelines for Federal Minimum Wage will not be posted. Employing organizations advertising part-time/temporary positions within the State of Kentucky must meet Kentucky State Minimum Wage Rates.
The Bellarmine University (BU) Career Development Center is committed to providing privacy of personal information for our clients, to the fullest extent permitted by law. Although the BU Career Development Center maintains ownership of all student and alumni profile data and résumés in Handshake, résumés and profiles of students and alumni participating in any of these services reside on the Handshake servers. Résumés uploaded to Handshake will only be shared publicly when students and alumni select the option to make public.
The BU Career Development Center will not disclose a client’s protected information to third parties or government agencies, without consent, unless required by law. Client and employer information from Handshake may be used to construct aggregate reports that assist the BU Career Development Center in program planning for statistical reports or to inform clients of services and programs of interest. This information may also be used to troubleshoot problems and is accessible only to BU Career Development Center staff. Information routinely shared with parties outside of the BU Career Development Center is shared only in aggregate form.
If you have any questions about the privacy statement, please contact the BU Career Development Center at 502.272.8154 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Student and Alumni Privacy, Ethical, and Professionalism Disclaimer
By accepting your profile in Handshake, students and alumni who use the system are agreeing to allow the personal and professional information they provide (e.g. name, address, telephone number, email address, degree(s), etc.), to be accessed by the BU Career Development Center.
Students and alumni using Handshake consent that information found in their account profiles, résumés, cover letters and other relevant documents is truthful and accurately represents both their education and experience. Students making false statements regarding their education and/or experience can be subject to discipline under the Bellarmine University Code of Conduct. The BU Career Development Center may deny and/or remove access rights for students and alumni that do not support the policies and procedures of the University.
The BU Career Development Center makes no recommendation regarding employers, and makes every effort to approve legitimate job opportunities. While the BU Career Development Center works diligently to monitor jobs, occasionally postings may occur that are fraudulent.
Here are some good tips to identify a job that is probably a scam:
- You must give your credit card or bank account numbers, or copies of personal documents - but you get nothing in writing.
- You must send payment by wire service or courier.
- You are offered a large payment or reward in exchange for allowing the use of your bank account - often for depositing checks or transferring money.
- You receive an unexpectedly large check.
- If you view a job posting that matches these characteristics please contact the BU Career Development Center at 502.272.8154 or email@example.com.
Most information disclosed in career advising remains confidential. In rare and specific circumstances, the Career Development Center may be required to break confidentiality to protect you or identified others from harm. The two exceptions to maintaining confidentiality include:
- Compliance with Title IX which states "all BU faculty and staff shall report every incident of sexual battery to the BU Campus Safety 502.272.7777."
- The Career Development Center strives to protect you or a third party from any immediate or imminent threat to harm.
Please contact the Career Development Center 502.272.8154 with questions regarding this policy.
Additional Privacy Information
Collection of Information
Some areas of our website collect personal information for the purposes of:
- Authentication: Programs that require registration utilize a login name and password to authenticate returning users.
- Identification: Some forms on our website ask for personal information such as your name and email address, so that we can respond to a request or question. Such information is voluntary unless otherwise noted on the form. However, not providing any contact information may make it impossible for us to respond personally to you.
- Statistical Usage: Some pages on our website may record your computer's IP address and information about your web browser, in order to provide statistical data on the use of this website. This information is used in aggregate form and does not personally identify you.