Parent FAQs

We know that as a parent you have been involved in your child’s care since day one and we understand your concerns; all of our professional staff members are parents themselves. Students must maintain their well-being to succeed academically and parents are often a primary source of health information for our students.

Below are quick answers to many of your most common questions.

What things do I need to do before my student begins classes at Bellarmine?

  • Submit a completed Immunization Form 2018, required for all residential students.
  • If you student is under that age of 18, submit a Parental Consent form.
  • If your student may need accommodations, please contact Disability Services.
  • If your student has a chronic illness or requires health care that you want us to be aware of, contact us: You may also want to contact Disability Services.
  • If your student takes regular medication, talk to their doctor now to ensure they will be able to have their prescriptions filled while at BU.
  • For information about eating disorders, anxiety, depression or other mental health issues contact our Counseling Center.

What immunizations does my student need to have to attend Bellarmine University?

Residential students are REQUIRED to have the immunization form submitted prior to moving into residence halls (Immunization Form). Please note that they can obtain their TB test on campus at low cost after moving in.

How do I speak to a Health Care Provider about my student’s lab results?

The Health Services Clinic adheres to FERPA (Family Educational Rights and Privacy Acts) regulations. The student must come to the clinic to sign a consent to authorize our sharing of any of their information with anyone. We encourage regular communication with your student so they can tell you personally about their visit to the clinic.

The following link has more information about FERPA.

What can I do if my student is sick?

If your student feels that self-care is not adequate and they need advanced care, encourage them to make an appointment to see one of our Nurse Practitioners. Our NPs can assess them, and will refer them if they feel they need care that we are unable to provide. Guide them to our Schedule an Appointment page.

Where can my student have their prescription filled?

There are many pharmacies close to campus and one delivers to campus. Visit our Nearby Medical Facilities for more information.

My student doesn’t have a car; how can they go to a doctor’s appointment or have a prescription filled off campus?

Most of the time students are able to have a friend or roommate take them. There is a local pharmacy that will deliver prescriptions listed on our Nearby Medical Facilities page. In the rare instance that this is not possible, we will provide a cab voucher. This is for medical care and prescriptions ONLY and is carefully monitored. Students must come to the clinic during our operating hours for their voucher.

I want my student to have a primary care provider or specialist in Louisville; do you have recommendations? How about vision testing or dentists?

Through our close association with Norton Healthcare, students may call this number for any kind of a referral: 502.272.1234. We also have referrals for vision and dental care listed in our Nearby Medical Facilities page.

Where is the closest ER?

The closest ER is Norton Audubon and is about 5 minutes away. More information can be found on our Nearby Medical Facilities page.

What if my student needs to be seen outside of regular business hours?

There are several options for your student’s healthcare needs after hours. Through a generous donation from Norton Healthcare, students with some minor, acute, non-urgent illnesses have access to Norton eCare video visits 24/7 at no charge. This service allows students to receive quick, non-urgent care free from their home or residence hall. A few examples of conditions seen in video visits include allergies, cold, flu, fever, insect bite, nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, red eye, skin rash, sore throat, and urinary tract infection. Visit our Norton eCare page for instructions on using this service. If students need more advanced care than the eCare visits can provide, please visit our Nearby Medical Facilities page for addresses and phone numbers for nearby clinics.

My student is having problems adjusting to college, what can I do?

Our Counseling Center is an excellent resource for this, as well as many other common mental health concerns. Like Health Services, counseling sessions are free of charge and completely confidential.

How can I ensure my student is seen in the clinic if they are under the age of 18?

Please fill out a Parental Consent form. Please note that this allows us to see your student in the clinic ONLY; if your student needs to be seen anywhere outside of the clinic, such as an Urgent Care Clinic or if you wish for your student to use eCare visits, they must be accompanied by a parent or legal guardian.

What health related items should I send with my student?

Please note that we are happy to supply many over the counter items for free, your student only needs to drop in and ask. We suggest your student have on hand the following: thermometer, bandages, antibiotic ointment, hand sanitizer, heating pad, humidifier, insect repellent, sunscreen, tissues, medications, itch cream, pain relievers, and anything your child uses frequently.

How much will it cost for my student to visit the clinic?

The Health Services Clinic visit is free. Much of the testing such as Strep, Mono, UTI, and blood sugar are free, and any over-the-counter medication or supplies (such as bandages and suture removal supplies) provided to your student are also free. Any lab work that is sent out will be charged to the student or their insurance. We will collect their information at the time the labs are sent and the bill will be mailed to the student (or parent) by the lab. We use Quest Diagnostics for our lab services. 

Does BU provide health insurance?

We strongly recommend that all students have health insurance coverage, but BU does not require it. BU does not offer health insurance plans and refers students to this link for options:

My student has had an illness or injury that makes it difficult for them to get around. Can they have help getting to class?

We request that your student please contact the Health Services Office if they have mobility issues and require our services. We are happy to come to them if they are unable to make it to our clinic. For a temporary handicap parking pass, your student can contact the Office of Public Safety at 502.272.7777.

Students may check out the following items:

  • Crutches
  • Humidifier
  • Wheel chair
  • Glucometer

The clinic can also provide small sharps boxes free of charge. Used sharps boxes should be returned to the Health Services Clinic for proper disposal.

Can my student charge immunizations, lab fees, or CPR classes to their BU account?

All charges are due at time of service and cannot be charged to their BU account. Lab fees must be billed to your insurance. We accept most payment types.

How do I make an appointment for my student?

In keeping with FERPA guidelines, all appointments must be made by the student themselves. They may use their Patient Portal to see a Nurse Practitioner, or contact Nurse Alice at if they need an allergy shot or immunizations. 

Can my child get allergy shots at the clinic?

We offer allergy injections for a charge of $20 per semester to cover supplies with an order from your allergist. Students can contact Nurse Alice at for details and to make an appointment.

My student is too sick to attend class. What is your medical excuse policy?

Please see our Student Illness Documentation Policy.

What do I do if I have a health related question or my question was not answered?

All questions can be directed to Alice Kimble, Director at: If you need immediate assistance, call the front desk during business hours at: 502.272.8313.

I have reproductive health questions.

Please call the director, Alice Kimble at 502.272.8493 or refer to the Student FAQs.